Mission and Objectives
The mission of WAPMS is to serve as a chapter of the Aquatic Plant Management Society (APMS) organization, providing a forum for members in Western North America to share interdisciplinary information related to aquatic plant and algae identification, detection, management and control.
The objectives of the Society are:
1. To establish a forum for the exchange of information on aquatic vegetation management techniques, strategies, and research through periodic meetings and other appropriate means.
2. To cooperate with local, state, regional, and national agencies, both public and private, in the identification of and solution to aquatic vegetation problems.
3. To promote uniformity and coordination of activities among agencies concerned with the regulatory aspects of aquatic plant management.
4. To encourage scientific research and assist in promoting the control and management of aquatic plants through scientifically sound procedures.
5. To recognize and promote scientific and technical advancement of the members and facilitate the education of aquatic plant managers through offering scholarships, Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and other educational assistance programs.
6. To extend and develop the public’s interest and understanding of aquatic plant management.
7. To cooperate with local chapters and other societies and organizations with similar and related interests.