WAPMS Scholarship Announcement
WAPMS invites and encourages undergraduate and graduate students to attend the 2015 Annual Conference in Portland, Oregon and apply for the Barbra H. Mullin Memorial Scholarship. A total of four awards are available to help defray travel and expenses to the annual conference.
Each award includes:
1. $500 travel stipend
2. Registration fee waiver to attend the 2015 conference
3. One-year student membership to the Society.
Scholarships will be granted to students who plan to attend and participate at the 2015 annual conference, are currently engaged in undergraduate or graduate study at an accredited university, demonstrate academic achievement, and are involved in meaningful aquatic plant management research.
The annual conference is a great opportunity for students to be engaged in their field of study and network with industry and fellow academics. Students are the future of the WAPMS. Advisors please encourage your students to apply!
- Applicant must be an undergraduate or graduate student in good academic standing from an accredited university, with an interest in aquatic plant management and a desire to participate in the WAPMS Annual Conference.
- Applicant must have a written letter of support from student’s advisor or faculty member of their current university program/department.
- Applicant must be willing to assist with sessions, conference registration, or conference setup or teardown during the WAPMS Annual Conference.
Application Materials (To be submitted as Word or PDF files)
- Address and name of the university which the student is currently attending.
- Name and beginning date of student’s degree program.
- Anticipated date of graduation.
- A brief description of the student’s current research/academic activities, along with a listing of completed coursework
- Current GPA
- Provide the title and abstract for the presentation the student plans on making at the 2015 WAPMS Conference.
- A statement of the student’s career goals and objectives of attending the 2015 WAPMS Conference. (300 words or less)
- A letter of support from the student’s supporting faculty member. This letter should include information on the student’s interest in aquatic plant management, and student’s reason for attending the WAPMS conference. (300 words or less)
All application materials should be submitted together and electronically to:
Lauren Courter (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Scholarship Chair
Deadline: February 12, 2015.
Applications will be judged by a committee of academic, industry, and agency representatives. Judging will not be done by individuals with a personal or institutional affiliation with the applicant. The award recipients will be notified by the Scholarship Chair by March 2, 2015, and will be recognized during the Annual Conference.