Western Aquatic Plant Management Society Travel Scholarship Announcement
The Western Aquatic Plant Management Society (WAPMS) is pleased to announce the 2014 Barbra H. Mullin Memorial Scholarship. This year, the WAPMS Board of Directors has decided to provide this scholarship in the form of four travel stipends of $500 for qualified candidates to attend the 2014 WAPMS Conference at the Peppermill Resort in Reno, NV on March 31 – April 2, 2014. In addition to the travel stipend, all applicants will receive a one-year membership to WAPMS and a waiver of registration fees for the 2014 WAPMS Conference.
- Applicant must be an undergraduate or graduate student in good standing from an accredited university, with an interest in aquatic plant management and a desire to participate in the WAPMS Annual Conference.
- Applicant must have a written letter of support from a faculty member at their current university, as outlined below.
- Applicant must being willing to work during the 2014 WAPMS Conference for a portion of the meeting. This work may include assisting with sessions, conference registration, or conference setup or teardown.
Application Materials (To be submitted as Word or PDF files)
- Address and name of the university which the student is currently attending.
- Name and beginning date of student’s degree program.
- Anticipated date of graduation.
- A brief description of the student’s current research/academic activities, along with a listing of completed coursework
- Current GPA
- Provide the title and abstract for any presentation the student plans on making at the 2014 WAPMS Conference. Presentations are encouraged but not required.
- A statement of the student’s career goals and objectives from attending the 2014 WAPMS Conference. (300 words or less)
- A letter of support from the student’s supporting faculty member. This letter should include information on the student’s interest in aquatic plant management, and student’s reason for attending the WAPMS conference. (300 words or less).
- All application materials should be submitted electronically to the WAPMS Scholarship Program Chair, Dr. Joe Vassios (firstname.lastname@example.org), by February 21, 2014 at 5:00 (PST).
Applications will be judged by a committee of academic, industry, and agency representatives. Judging will not be done by individuals with a personal or institutional affiliation with the applicant. The award recipients will be notified by the Scholarship Chair by March 1, 2014, and will be recognized during the 2014 Annual Conference.